Wednesday, June 18, 2008

pre-training

So, I am hoping that by the end of this whole experience (training) I have accrued enough motivational support to push me through the actual marathon. Finding time to run is becoming increasingly difficult as the initial shock and excitement has dwindled down to about 20% excitement, leaving 80% of my emotions at the mercy of fear and procrastination. And I mean, let's face it, I am the world's best procrastinator. So let this be my first (not so subtle) push towards coercing you into read our blog (when you have a chance) and post comments (to help us). It really will make a world of difference.

Many people have been asking me, "So how is training going?!?!" And, yes, with THAT much enthusiasm (I love it). Allow me to answer: it's going....not so bad. I can now officially run more than 10 minutes without wanting to die! Oh, I'm sorry, is that pathetic? Well, I suppose now is a better time than ever to confess the following: I have had little to no interest in athleticism and personal growth through exercise since high school. Admitting that was painful...
But it's true. Not to mention, running totally bores me. I'm not used to competitive, physical activity that doesn't require my hands and a ball. But I must say, it's much easier than I thought to push yourself past that point when you are running and you simply cannot go any further. I suppose kids are calling it "endurance" these days. Well, I gots-me-some. I'm bubbling over with perseverance! I still am trying to synchronize the body/mind disconnect, but I imagine that will take a lot of time. If you check in, I'll keep you updated...
At any rate, I am running anywhere between 30-45 minutes 5 days a week. The most solid advice I have adhered to thus far has been: "Don't worry about the rugged training of it all quite yet. For now, you must become a runner!" I have, (graeme), and I kind of like it.

p.s. I bought real running shoes for the first time. I went to a store and was forced to run on a treadmill while watching a CG version of my feet moving in front of me. I tried hard to like the Saucony's (as they have been my brand since middle school), but they just didn't work for me. So, after trying on numerous pairs of shoes (including different models of each brand), I settled with Asics: Gel-Cumulus 10. Now with a gender-specific fit! It's my most controlling sneaker yet.
I must say, there is nothing better than feeling the wind through the sweet, sweet mesh that encases my toes while I run.

-Kelli

2 quick notes:
1) I would love some advice from those of you who are runners
2) If you comment on nothing else throughout this adventure, please @ least send me suggestions for musicology. I have a brand new ipod shuffle and desperately need suggestions for long runs. Help.

4 comments:

jesseruns said...

anything by the killers or justin timberlake. i know jt isnt your style but just give it a shot. you might thank me.

Unknown said...

kella,
i too am trying to get back in good running condition after being lazy for the winter, and eating a rice krispie treat this morning. may i make several suggestions?
1. get someone to run with you. i am lucky enough to have simon but he cant be everywhere at once (or maybe he can...). it really helps at those moments where you want to stop, because you are too ashamed.
2. leave the house even if you think you dont have any energy, because a lot of times you get it on the way.
3. tunes, baby. what you listen to on the road is not what you listen to while cooking or chilling, and its not what you tell people you listen to. i like: MIA, JT, arcade fire funeral (wouldnta thunk it), outkast, OH and latin music. oh i will email you the best running song eva

Unknown said...

oh i missed the explicit tunes request. i also like pixies and placebo for running

Anonymous said...

ok, sooooo.....kel, you and your sister have always told me that i am computer illiterate and now i will not deny that any longer. i am slowly but surely figuring out this blob (i mean blog) thing and am really trying to manipulate my way though the system. bear with me! anyhoooooo, i am the proud mom of the originiator/writer/manipulator/encourager of this project. Also, please remember I am living with the man who has been lovingly forced/embarrassed into this challenge so you must all have pity on my for i/we all know not what is ahead :( he is really trying, kel - it is sunday (a rare day off from work) and only 5 cigarettes so far....definitely a good thing since it is 7:45pm. A+ for effort today. love you, sweetie. and thanks for all the advice from ali to you - glad you girls have each other. i am the proud mom/wife. xxoo me